What we do
We provide a range of services for children including accident and emergency:
- In-patient ward (Rupert Bear)
- Children’s day surgery unit (Dolphin Unit)
- Children’s out-patients unit
- Specialised clinics e.g diabetes
- Dedicated area for children in the main A&E
- Children’s hospital from home team
- Children’s social services
- Named nurse for child protection
- Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) which works closely with both the maternity service to provide care for very young babies.
Over 25,000 children attended the paediatric A&E service in 2006/2007.
The department works closely with social services and the children's Hospital at Home team.