Compliments or complaints

At Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust, we aim to provide a service of the highest standard.  We want to make sure that your stay or visit, is as pleasant as possible.

To help us improve our services, we welcome your views about your experience with us. If you would like to comment on our services you can:

Write a letter and send it to our Complaints Department

Fill in the electronic Patient Experience Tracker (PET) available in many wards and departments

Telephone our PALS Service (020) 8401 3210 or the Complaints Department 

             (020) 8401 3352

            (020) 8401 3353

            (020) 8401 3416

If you have received excellent care from a member of Mayday staff, please consider nominating them for our Employee of the Month award. The form can be downloaded here.

Employee of the Month

If you are unhappy about any of our services, your treatment, or the welcome you received, please let us know.

Ask to speak to a senior member of staff on the ward or in the department such as your doctor, modern matron, ward sister, charge nurse or departmental manager. It is an important part of their job to listen to you, to help you and try to resolve your concern or complaint as quickly as possible.

If you find it difficult to complain at the time, or you still feel dissatisfied later, you can telephone or write to our Complaints Department.  Please try to do this as soon as possible after the event.  Send the details to:

Complaints Department

Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust

London Rd



Your approach will remain confidential and it will not affect your future treatment in any way

We will make every effort to put the matter right, if we can, and we hope you will be satisfied with the action taken.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome, there are further steps you can take, including making a formal complaint.  

If you are complaining on behalf of someone else you must have their written permission to do so. If a patient is unable to consent (for example, physically unable or mentally incapacitated), the next of kin can complain or they can provide written consent for someone else to do so.

Who do I write to at Mayday about my formal complaint?

The Chief Executive

Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust

530 London Road



You should make your complaint as soon as possible after the date of the event that you wish to complain about. 

We will acknowledge your complaint within two working days and we will send a full response, signed by the Chief Executive (or the nominated Deputy), within the following twenty-five working days. 

If the complaint is very complex, it may not be possible to investigate and respond within the twenty-five working days. In such cases, we will write and tell you that the response is likely to take longer, and explain why.

If an unexpected delay happens in a complaint that is not particularly complex, one of our Complaints Managers will write to let you know the reason for delay.

We may ask if you would like to meet the relevant managers and/or clinicians, as this can often be a helpful way of resolving any misunderstandings on both sides.

If you remain dissatisfied with our response and the efforts to resolve your complaint locally, you can ask the   Health Service Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. You can contact the Ombudsman at:

            The Health Service Ombudsman

            11th Floor, Millbank Tower     


            SW1P 4QP

Tel:      0345 015 4033

Fax: 0300 061 4000 


Please note: If you contact the Ombudsman without first making a formal complaint directly to Mayday, your case will not be considered by either of those organisations until you have contacted us and we have worked with you to try to resolve the matter locally.

Claims for Compensation

For any enquiry regarding claims for compensation, reimbursement or ex-gratia payments please please write to:

Legal Services Department

Mayday Healthcare NHS Trust

530 London Road



For independent help and advice                                                 

The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) has skilled advisers who can:

• talk through the issues with you

• advise on how to make a complaint

• guide you through the complaints process 

• help you to write letters

• come with you to meetings.

You can contact the ICAS London Helpline at 0845 1203784

NHS Direct Department of Health

Moore Wilson - Web Design London